Whether you call yourself baby boomer, senior, retiree or active adult, downsizing may be on your mind. Perhaps that five bedroom house feels empty now. You may be tired of taking care of the big yard. Or you may be ready to move closer to your grown children and grandchildren. If you are thinking of a change for the next phase of your life, you should consider active adult 55+ communities in Matthews NC.
The Over 55 Lifestyle in Matthews NC
Why is Matthews such a great place for active adults and retirees?
- A mild climate. Located in the piedmont area of North Carolina, Matthews has a mild four season climate. With only one or two snow or ice storms each winter, you can be on the golf course or shopping nearly every day. The spring and fall seasons are long and spectacular. For a change in scenery, the beaches and mountains are just a few hours away.
- A quaint downtown. Historic downtown Matthews is the small town where you grew up or dreamed of living. Renovated historic buildings house quaint shops, restaurants and even a 100+ year old hardware. The downtown is also a destination with a library, a farmers market, a two-mile greenway and a thriving taphouse and pub scene. A number of community events during the year bring thousands to the town.
- Many opportunities to get involved. Interested in the arts? How about history? Volunteering? There are many organizations with friendly people who welcome new participants. Matthews has a number of churches as well.
- Levine Senior Center. A group of Matthews seniors worked for twenty years to create a center for activities and fellowship. Their dream was realized in 2006 when the Levine Senior Center was built on 9.8 acres in Matthews. Today it offers classes and activities plus a cafe and events.
- Easy access to shopping and entertainment. Although Matthews is a small town, it has many shopping areas that meet your needs. Big box retailers like Lowes, Target and Costco are found within the town. A choice of grocery stores and pharmacies are found throughout Matthews. Restaurants from upscale dining to fast casual to fast food dot the area. Matthews is an easy 20 to 30 minute drive from uptown Charlotte with its professional sports and arts. Regional malls are also within convenient driving distance.
- Abundant medical facilities. Matthews Novant Medical Center is located in the town. Many other doctors offices and medical facilities are near the hospital.
Want to know more about active adult 55+ communities in Matthews NC? Click here to see profiles of communities that may fit your over 55 lifestyle.
Discover Charlotte North Carolina's Best Small Towns
Carol Fox of Allen Tate Realtors has helped people find the right homes and neighborhoods in Charlotte North Carolina's best small towns for thirty years.
Call Carol Fox at 704-905-3935
to list your property for sale or to purchase a home in
Matthews NC, Mint Hill NC and the small towns of Union County NC, including Stallings NC, Indian Trail NC, Weddington NC, Waxhaw NC, Lake Park NC, Marvin NC, Wesley Chapel NC and Monroe NC.
Interested in Matthews NC homes for sale and home values?
Visit Matthews NC Homes for Sale to search for properties or for a free online market analysis of your current home.
Search for homes and learn more about the small towns and communities in the southern region of Charlotte